I earned my technician-class license in Ames, Iowa, in September 2008, and then passed the exam to upgrade my license to general-class in Vinton, Iowa, in September 2010 for HF privileges. I’m still very much in the planning and exploration stages of building an HF station (living in a first-floor apartment will require some ingenuity), but I’m active in D-STAR digital voice, APRS, P25, and whatever else I’m interested in on any given day. Prior to to earning my license, I was — and still am — very active in public safety scanning.
My Echolink node number is 414323.
Recent radio and scanning articles and commentary • Archives
- Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad declares June 16-22 as Amateur Radio Week in Iowa June 14, 2013
- Changing of the guard: Stepping down as DMRAA president May 3, 2013
- New Burger King commercial takes amateur radio to space April 21, 2013
- Cyclone ARC special event station during VEISHEA April 11, 2013
- Iowa LTE demonstration featured in Harris LTE promo April 2, 2013
- Phooey! Stuart Hamfest’s ‘Grumpy Ham’ tells it like it is March 14, 2013
- WHO-TV: Public safety goes high speed February 20, 2013
- “Radio Hams,” an old-time MGM film by Felix E. Feist February 19, 2013
- Tomorrow: Demonstration of new equipment and services that can be implemented in pending statewide Iowa radio build-out February 18, 2013
- Pocket change: Amateur radio apps for Android, 800 MHz yagi, Big Creek tower, and more January 21, 2013